Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New New Year's Day Tradition

All plans for a well thought out and inspiring post fell apart as I napped a large portion of the day away. Despite sleeping well last night and not hearing our neighbors screaming “Happy New Year” banging on pans and shooting off fireworks and maybe a gun or two, I’m still wiped out and out of sorts. It almost feels like a cold – AGAIN – but I’m not sure. I’ve been sleeping/resting a lot today, and doing laundry in between. Nothing like starting 2009 off with a bang…

BUT we did actually incorporate a type of “bang” into the day.

The girls got a gift from Hubster’s cousin that threw me for a bit of a loop and won the award for ‘weirdest gift ever’. (Sorry K). It takes a lot to make me say “huh?” but it turned out to be a cool thing indeed and I think it has inspired a new tradition.

Cousin K sent the girls a large Nemo piñata. My girls love the movie Finding Nemo, Baboo especially. She wants me to fast forward to all the scenes with Nemo. She doesn’t give a rat’s ass about any of the other supporting characters.




When we pulled the large piñata out of the box, we all kind of looked at each other and said “Well…. That’s interesting” and I wondered what kind of crack Cousin K had been smoking. (I’m kidding… She’s a perfectly upstanding member of the community.) But really, a piñata for Christmas? Ok, then. As I said, it takes a lot to surprise me and this certainly did. The kids, of course, loved it. Baboo screamed “NEMO!” from her Princess Cozy Coupe and Mouse surprised me by saying “Cool! A piñata! Can we do it right now?” (I didn’t know she knew what a piñata was).

I decided to save it for another day so that we could stretch the Christmas bounty out over, say a week. Oy. They’ve been wanting to open everything right away and I can’t blame them. I’ve managed to squirrel away a few things for a rainy day when we need something new to do, but um, it’s kind of hard to hide an enormous Nemo. He lived under our tree until today when we started putting some of the Christmas things away.

Mouse asked again today if we could do the piñata and maybe it was the Tylenol I’d taken or the fact that I wasn’t really awake yet, but, I couldn’t see a reason not to.

I wasn’t sure how Baboo would take to us hacking at her favorite, cute little fishy friend with a foam bat, but as soon as Mouse took the first swing she started laughing in that deep, throaty, devilish way that only she can. I’m afraid, very afraid.

Anyway, we hooked Nemo onto a tall shepherds hook from the garden, got out the kid’s foam bat and had at ‘er. I decided NOT to blindfold anyone because well, I prefer life and not to be covered in bruises or cleaning up masses of broken things. Mouse threw a couple of good ones, Hubster helped Baboo and for a good 10 minutes they banged away with no rewarding shower of treats. Then we read the instructions and saw that we had to pull ribbons to open the trap door to release the booty. Oh. I’m kind of glad we didn’t have to pulverize Nemo to get the good stuff out.

Once we figured that out, the kids yanked ribbons until Mouse found the magic one and all kinds of fun things hit the floor – pencils, erasers, stickers, a few chocolates and mini candy canes, socks, tooth brushes, hair elastics etc.

It was fun and the girls definitely enjoyed it. It was something I never would have thought to do, but it’s a great idea. I have visions of us making one to look like the New Year ball that falls every year, but this would be much more fun. The kids could make it and I’d fill it with things to surprise them. It could really be a messy, fun holiday activity. Then after we do the piñata, we’ll order pizza like we’re doing right now. Pinata and Pizza. Hmmm… I like that. That’s a tradition I could get used to.

Thanks Cousin K. The gift was a hit! And Happy New Year!

Added: I just looked up and saw that Baboo had chocolate ALL over her face and was chewing away madly. When I asked what she was eating she said “I find choc-wit”. When I looked in her mouth, I saw a handful of foil covered in chocolate drool. (gross). I guess I missed picking up one of the chocolate Santas from the piñata. Oy.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Just yesterday I was saying we should start a christmas pinata tradition! We often had one at Christmas growing up. Anyway- good to see our lives are still parallel! Happy new year!