Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Trouble Spot Tuesday: Cleaning Out Your Clothes Drawer

This weekend I went to the armoire that Hubster and I share and could not find a t-shirt. The drawers were a mess; the shelves had clothes bunched up all over the place. I decided right then and there to clean it up.

Despite being worried that it was going to take longer, it really only took 15 minutes. I didn’t really give myself a lot of time to ponder over whether to keep things or not. If it was ripped, stained, un-matchable or just plain “done”, it was gone.

I started with the undies and sock drawers as those are generally the easiest. I got rid of a few socks that had holes or didn’t have a mate and obviously any undies that were past their prime.

Then I sorted out the pjs, grouping them together in one place. I did get rid of a couple of things here as well.

Then, t-shirts. Right now, because we have an enormous closet (filled more with stuff than clothes), most of the shirts we wear daily, i.e. the long sleeve ones, are hanging up in our closet because our pants are there and it’s just easier to get dressed there. Surprisingly, I have to say that with everything hanging up, it’s much easier to see what we have and what needs to go or what we need to get. Once the seasons change, we’ll likely move things around.

Anyway, back to the t-shirts. The shirts were lumped and bunched all over the shelves and it was hard to tell what was actually in there. I pulled each one out, inspected it and either folded it or tossed it. I tossed a bunch of Hubster’s shirts and some of mine as well. I tend to go through shirts pretty quickly because I’m always painting with the kids or cooking and get some gunk on it that won’t come out.

Once I was done with that, it was time to put everything back in the armoire and really, it all went back together quickly.

I’ve been working pretty hard this past year to keep things cleaned out – or at least weeded down. I’m not even close to being a fashionista so I don’t keep up with a lot of trends etc, so I really don’t have whole lot. I know that I’ll wear about the same 4 shirts over and over until they’re worn out, which happens about every 4 months or so. So, I just buy 1 or 2 shirts as I need them and try to toss them out or move them to the rag pile when they’re toasted. I haven’t done this in a while, so it was time. I keep a bag or box for Goodwill in all of our closets and when we decide that something doesn’t fit (this is especially important with the girls) or we’re done with it, I just toss it in the box. My policy is that if I wouldn’t give it to a friend, then I toss it out. Meaning, if it’s just too stained or worn and I wouldn’t give it to my best friend, then, I put it in the rag bag rather than donate it to Goodwill.

Once the seasons change, before I move anything over, I’ll go through the closet and check over all the winter clothes before I put them away and toss what needs to be done and will do the same for the spring stuff coming out. That way I’ll know what we’re going to need and can keep an eye out for sales.

So, if you have a lot of clothes and it seems overwhelming, start with one drawer. Put a box or bag in your room to hold anything you’re passing on. When you’re putting things back in the drawer or closet, think about how you’re going to reach for it and group it together so it makes finding things easier. Then do another drawer the next day or, work on a section of your closet. Be honest about what you really wear or will wear. If it’s past its’ prime, doesn’t fit or you don’t like it any more, don’t feel guilty. Pass it on.

And if you’re really lucky and get a big chunk of time, then go whole hog and really get it done. Get some boxes or bags and start shocking yourself with how much crap you really have.

Well, what are you waiting for? Go! Sort! Organize! Toss! Then dress in something really nice you just found at the back of your closet and feel GREAT all day.

I’ll talk about kids clothes another time because, at least in our house with 2 girls, is a whole other ball of wax.

No comments: