Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Horray for Hand-me-downs!

This seems to be my week for scoring free stuff. A friend at Mouse’s school passed on 2 HUGE bags of clothes for the girls this week. Monday it looked like a clothes bomb went off in the family room as Mouse couldn’t WAIT to try EVERYTHING on; regardless of whether it would fit her or not. She wanted first dibs on any of the good stuff, I guess.

Surprisingly, quite a few things fit her well enough for her to get a few wears out of them, but most of it was intended for Baboo… and she now has enough clothes to go at least 2 weeks without wearing the same thing twice. Yikes. But we love hand-me-downs.

AND, our realtor, whose wife happens to teach at Mouse’s school AND who is taking my Pilates class has graciously offered to pass on 4 bar stools to us that he is not using. When we bought the house he mentioned that he had them in his basement and wasn’t using them and that they’d be great at our breakfast bar in our kitchen. Not wanting to seem rude, I never asked about them because how do you say “Hey! Remember those bar stools you offered to us? Are you ever giving them to us?” without sounding rude? So we just let it go. But today he called to say he cleaned them up, repainted them and is sending them along with his wife tonight.

So, definitely a bonus week. The good thing about hand-me-downs is that the price is always right - and I feel like I'm balancing the universe when I give some of our things away.

No comments: