Tuesday, January 20, 2009

High Hopes

There are so many excellent posts up about the inauguration… I can’t even attempt to write anything so well spoken.

I missed the actual speech as I took the kids to the museum to get out of the house for a bit. I was able to catch it on CNN.com and let me tell you, my heart was as in my throat today as it was the night of the election. I was teary the whole time and kept getting chills as I listened to him speak. This is big history and I’m watching it. I’m glad to be at an age to really take all of this in and to be able to tell my girls about this big moment.

Hubster and I cannot vote here, but that doesn’t mean that we’re not directly affected by US politics. We live here, pay taxes here, contribute to our community and try to be an honest functioning part of this society. We would do no less regardless of which country we lived in.

It’s hard not to be inspired and feel hopeful around Barack Obama. And despite my reservations about the big picture, I am hopeful.

Our daughters, by birth, are American citizens and it’s for them that I hope. I want to be a part of a generation that actually makes a difference. I hope we can pass down to them a better environment, a better life, a kinder world. We’re willing to work at it. I hope that he is the man to help lead the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Reading some of your blogs and enjoying exploring your thoughts on life.

I've got butterflies in my stomach - excited over a politician!?! - tears in my eyes, hearing his words spoken so elequently and stunned, in awe of history unfolding before my eyes and the promise of something great to come and the hope for a beter world for us all.

I keep thinking back to President Kennedy and imagine that was how our parents felt hearing him speak - inspired - by word - and inspired by deed.

I admire that BR won't compromise the principles that have built the USA in the face of challenges. This is something that has left a bad taste in my mouth for years of other American leaders and I hope he can stick to it!

Kennedy's speech "Ich bein ein Berliner". Can easily translate to the way I feel - "Today I am an American!" Which is not something I would ever thought I would say or feel a sense of pride in saying. I am proud of the USA for the first time in as long as I can remember and wish us all a brighter future together!

Good luck with the taxes by the way.

Left of Ordinary said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by!
I know exactly how you feel.