Monday, March 30, 2009

Potty Training 101

Yesterday was the BIG DAY. The day to POTTY TRAIN Baboo, aka “The Diaper Shedding Bandit”.

I borrowed the “Potty Train in 1 Day” video from the library, watched it 3 times and took notes. I stocked up on training panties, snacks/ treats/drinks, bought a fancy new big girl sip cup and got out our “peeing” baby doll. Hubster planned a movie/lunch date with Mouse so that I could have most of the day to just work with Baboo.

After Hubster and Mouse left, Baboo and I “trained” the baby to go potty. I had made panties for it by cutting holes in the seams of some old baby booties I had (worked great, by the way, well enough to convince my 2 year old). “Baby” did well, with only 1 accident that required the “wet pants, hurry, hurry” potty practice drill as per the dvd videos. “Baby” did so well that she got a treat and we proclaimed her a “BIG GIRL” now.

Then it was Baboo’s turn. She’s worn panties before so this wasn’t something new. I plied her with water/juice/milk and snacks. Made a big deal out of the new cup and practiced going potty a few times. Within an hour, she had it down. She consumed snacks/drinks/m&ms and gummies all morning. We read books, played with blocks and just were quiet. She went potty many times. She even started going on her own, without me prompting her.

She almost pooped her pants, but we caught it in time and had to celebrate with a few m&ms! Whoo!

Nap time went well, with just a bit of a wet pull up.

And, despite my worries, when she was playing with Mouse last night, she stopped and went potty when she needed to. No accidents ALL day.

Bed time was tough. She kept wanting to take her stuff off and did actually go potty a few times. We did have to change the pull ups a few time because they were a bit wet and it took her a while to settle down.

Today, she had her well child visit at the doctors. I was going to put her in a pull up, but decided against it. She wore big girl panties and again… no accidents. She did ask to go potty oh, about a dozen times, but she did go just about every time. I’m ok with that. Reinforce that we’re taking her seriously.

So, all in all, I’m very pleased with her progress. I do ask her to check her undies a few times a day, just to remind her about the potty. I know that there will be accidents, and I’m ok with that. And I don’t expect her to be dry over night either. This is good considering she’s only 2.

She’s very proud of herself and that’s the big thing. She loves that she can do it “by my self!” and that’s what it’s all about.

No comments: