Friday, March 20, 2009

How Do I Spell Relief?

N-something-methrone-something –roxodine. (kidding). That was what I was on before and it didn’t work.

Actually, it's Bactrim – a sulfa-something antibiotic. After 1 dose and a good night’s sleep, I’m already feeling better. Better than I have all week, which reminds me how long of a week it’s been. Oy.

Yesterday was a bit of a run around day, way more than I anticipated, and yet a few things fell into place just by chance. First, as I was running out the door to drop the kids off before my therapy appointment, I happened to grab my book (Twilight… didn’t plan to read it but it was a great story. Sometimes I hate it when the masses are right) but did not grab anything to entertain the kids at the doctor’s office. I realized this ½ way to my friend’s house. Argh.

So I’m dropping off the girls and my friend says “take your time, there’s no rush”. And finally a very delayed lightbulb goes off and I ask her to watch the girls for me so I can go to this next doctor’s appointment. She’s more than willing and as I’m leaving says “let me give you our numbers just in case you need them”. (This will be important later).

So, off I go to therapy, where he gives me a few things to think about and I’m a bit late getting out and am grateful that I didn’t have to pick up the kids as well. As I’m driving over, I remember that I didn’t plan anything for lunch for myself – duh. And I’m kind of hungry. However, I don’t have time so I figure I’ll get something after I’m done. Fortunately, I didn’t have to wait forever at any point this time and things went quickly. My doctor figures that the infection isn’t responding to the unpronounceable antibiotic and gives me a scrip for a new one. And then says, “I’m worried that you might have a kidney infection or a kidney stone. I’m going to send you for a scan. Go check out and then I’ll tell you what you need to do.”
I’m a little shocked, but ok. So I check out, and come back. She tells me to go to the hospital, check in and get the cat scan done.

Uh, WHAAT!?

I mumble around for a minute trying to figure out what the hell to do and she asks if this will be a problem. I don’t think so, but uh, it’s just unexpected. They tell me it’ll be a couple of hours and laugh that it’s good I brought my book. Yeah, no kidding. I stupidly as if this is something I can reschedule, and she says “No. Go now”.

So I call my friend and ask her to watch the kids a bit longer – and she’s wonderful. I’m so, so, so lucky. She just says “the girls are fine, having a great time. It’ll take as long as it takes, don’t worry”. Sigh. Then call Hubster and let him know what’s going on.

I pick up a sandwich at Subway and I think 16 yr old nerdy geek is trying to flirt with me, but maybe it’s the shock of the twist in my day, and as I’m driving to the hospital, I marvel a bit at how things have turned out. I don’t have to worry about entertaining the girls for hours at a hospital. I have my book. I had my friend’s numbers to let her know what was happening. Just funny how things work out. I just pray as I’m driving over that I don’t have an insurance fight over this.

Anyway, I was at the hospital for about 2.5 hours, which isn’t bad. Things moved pretty quickly. The scan only took a minute and apparently I do not have kidney stones, thankfully. And I had time to finish my book, just before they came to tell me the results.

When I went to get the girls, they didn’t want to come home. They wanted to keep playing, so at least I know they had fun. And when I stopped at CVS to fill my prescription, which I wasn’t going to do because it had been a long day and Baboo had not napped, they were super fast and we were out of there in 7 minutes.

So, all of that is to say, it was an interesting day. I’m glad it’s over and I’m very happy to be finally feeling better. Oy.

No comments: