Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rings!

Yesterday wasn’t really a crazy day, but I was certainly out of it enough to forget my wallet when I was supposed to stop at the bank and delirious enough to try to convince Baboo to lie down with me so I could have a nap. That I was more mentally incompetent than usual will be important to the story. Trust me.

Mouse was at a playdate at a friends’ house and before she came home, I was trying to get dinner ready. Baboo, who did NOT nap was nearing the end of her rope and was nearing a meltdown. She was whiney and cranky and begging to be carried and pulling on my legs. I wasn’t really in good form either as I was tired, cranky and mentally taxed just making dinner, never mind dealing with a tantrum.

I’d decided to make hamburgers for dinner. As a compromise to holding her, I had Baboo pull a chair over to the counter to watch me mix up the meat and shape the patties and “help”. I took off my rings; a plain silver wedding band and my grandmother’s engagement ring and set them beside me before I put my hands into the bowl. She wanted to try them on, so I allowed her to, hoping that she’d be busy and quiet with those for a few minutes. Then promptly forgot about her wearing the rings. Brilliant, I know.

After the patties were ready, we went outside so to put the burgers on the grill and to play a bit before Mouse and Hubster came home. We were on the deck, in the grass and digging for worms in the garden. Not once did those rings cross my mind.

Fast forward to the evening. The girls are in bed, Hubster and I have worked out with the EA Sports Personal Trainer and are chilling out to watch Reaper. Half way through, I unconsciously move my thumb over to twirl my ring, and realize it’s not there. A sinking PANIC hit my stomach like a ton of bricks covered in acid. I said “Oh shit. My RINGS!” and Hubster looked at me like I had 2 heads. I mumbled out a description of what happened while running around the house frantically, before stopping in front of the back door.

I vaguely remembered Baboo having them on when we were outside, but I wasn’t 100% sure. I tried to remember all the places she had been when I was making the burgers. It’s amazing how much that girl gets around in the space of 10 minutes. I knew she’d be in the living room, the play room upstairs and… outside.

I wasn’t overly worried about the silver band. That is not my original wedding ring and it was not expensive. I bought it several years after we were married because it was more comfortable and I had been reacting to my original rings. The other ring however, though I’d never met my grandmother, as she passed away when I was a baby, was very important to me. It had a bit of value, but more importantly, it was a part of my family. I felt just sick thinking that it could be lost forever.

While we were looking around the house, Baboo happened to kind of wake up and I figured that maybe being half awake she’d be able to tell me where they were. When I asked her about the rings, she was kind of whiney, understandably, and did say she took them outside. By then it was too late for us to look outside.

I tried not to dwell on it so that I’d get some sleep and resigned myself to really look in the morning.

This morning, as soon as we got up, I asked Baboo if she remembered where my rings were. She said she took them outside and put them in the dirt. I asked “In the garden dirt or under the deck dirt?” She said “Deck dirt.” So, as soon as she was dressed, I took her outside and asked her to show me where she was when she dropped them. She walked a few feet from the door and pointed down. Sigh. Oy.

I didn’t make a big deal of it and didn’t have time to look right then, but figured I’d get to it. Later in the day, I’d mentioned the rings to a friend and she said “You should look before it rains and they sink in the mud”.

As soon as said goodbye to my friend, I went to hang out the swim towels on the clothesline and noticed it was starting to rain. Crap. Ah well, I figured, maybe it will just be a quick shower.

And then we had a HUGE thunderstorm with a side of deluge that made my knees weak, especially after this weekend. I kept looking anxiously at the deck wondering if it was worth braving being struck by lightning to go and look for the rings.

Regaining my sanity, I realized this was not a good idea.

But, after dinner, it stopped storming and the sun came out. I figured I might as well try to find them. The girls splashed in the puddles, covering me with water as I bent over with my ass in the air, nose pressed between the slats of deck wood, peering with one eye as far in each direction as I can, watching carefully for any hint of a sparkle and praying silently that I will find them. I started with an obvious grid pattern (I’ve watched CSI, you know!) and moved down one slat at a time, starting in the area Baboo told me she’d dropped the rings.

And then I found one, literally within 3 minutes. It was sitting right on top of the soil, right under a generous space between the boards. It was my silver ring, but it gave me HOPE! I jumbled something to Hubster about “RINGS! ACK! HOOKY-THING! HELP!”

He quickly came and rigged up a large paperclip on a bamboo stake, which was better than the wimpy extra long piece of gigantic twist-tie I had. He had the ring in just a few minutes. (My hero!)

The girls became very interested as I’m peering through the deck and are shoving their little butts and noses right next to me. So, not helpful!

However, working backwards towards the door, I found the other ring. I nearly cried! Hubster, again, had it out in just a few seconds. I think my hand was trembling as I took it CAREFULLY off the paperclip and put it on my finger.

The girls danced around yelling “Treasure! Treasure! Mommy’s got treasure!” and proceeded to ask if they could rescue the 10 year old barrettes and pennies that they’d spotted under the deck. Then Baboo said “I try your rings, Mommy?” It was all I could to not to yell, not just no, but “HELL NO!”.

I don’t blame her, I really don’t. It was my own stupid lack of judgment and attention yesterday that almost made me lose my rings. I’m generally ok with the girls trying on my jewelry and generally, I’m more careful to watch them. I don’t have anything that’s overly valuable dollar-wise, but lots it sentimental to me. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind next time I try to bribe a 2 year old to let me work in peace. Good grief.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I was so relieved by the end of your post! I am so superstitious about jewelry, I think the important ones make sure you don't loose them. Maybe just wishful thinking- but your story feeds my superstitions!