Friday, October 30, 2009

On The Fritz

It’s such a cliché when everyone says “oh, that’ll fall apart the minute the warranty is done.”

Well, that is a lie, it’s not the next minute, its’ 3 weeks later.

This morning, Hubster came downstairs and went to heat up his Weight Watchers Breakfast Quesadilla (which are pretty good) in our lovely over-the-range microwave, but the minute he opened the door, the microwave buzzed loudly, threw a little hissy fit and displayed digital expletives in his face on the display and just refused to work.

He climbed up to see if the GFCI outlet in the cabinet over the stove needed to be reset, but that seemed to be ok. He unplugged the microwave and then plugged it back in, also to no avail.

When I came into the kitchen, Hubster was eating his COLD cereal and grumpily mumbled that the &^%$ microwave was broken (grumble, mumble, growl). I thought I’d try my hand at resetting it, but was also was buzzed and hissed at. It’s like a rabid cat right now; all snarly and hissy and dysfunctional.

Gee, hmm… maybe I’m over dramatizing this.

We’ve been in our new house just over a year, 3 weeks over a year. When we bought our house, there was a home warranty which covered a number of things, including any appliances that were included with the sale of the house, which we haven’t needed to use…. until now. And now, when it would be NICE to use it, we can’t because it expired, you know, 3 weeks ago. Of course.

I pulled out the home warranty phone number to call anyway, even though I was sure it was finished. I figured it was worth a call, and the lady was really nice and apologetic when she told me it expired. 3 weeks ago.

Sigh.

For a couple of hours, I thought we could live without a microwave, and well, we probably could, but it is sure inconvenient. (We really are a spoiled generation with our DVDs, IPODs and fancy microwaves…) For example, I poured Baboo’s milk this morning and went to heat it up so she wouldn’t get an “ice cream” headache from chugging cold milk, and well, I couldn’t. Well, that’s a lie, I COULD if I wanted to get out a pot and put the milk in and stir it for 10 mins… but I didn’t want to do that. So, *horrible* mother that I am (ha) I gave her COLD milk with 10 warnings not to chug it too fast. But well, she ended up whining she was cold 3 minutes later because she drank her milk too fast. Though she’s not one to listen to any “non-chugging” advice.

So I looked online and saw that they’re not really all that expensive to replace, about $200 for a basic model, but its’ $200 I didn’t really want to spend on a microwave. Bleh.

Hubster headed out to pick up the new microwave after work, found that almost no one actually KEEPS anything in stock and bought one that had a “slightly damaged” box. Well, when he pulled it out of the box, we found that one of the corners had a huge caved in dent on the top. So, back in the box it went.

So, tomorrow, he’ll head to another store and hopefully exchange it for an unbroken one. We hope.

So the whole point of this long winded, whiney post about our fritzed out microwave is that I’m entering in a contest that Stephanie over at Totally Together Reviews has going for a gift card, for an amount that would almost exactly cover the cost of replacing the microwave. Go and check her out – she’s got some great sites and she’s so, so pretty. (*grin*)

No comments: