Monday, July 6, 2009

Stinkin' Hunks

My kids are city kids, and yes, I guess I was a city kid too, but did regularly travel to rural areas. My kids have not had much of a chance to experience “country life”.

The girls and I have moved on from the visit to “Northern Home Town” to the visit to “Rural Childhood Canadian Cottage”. There are lots of windy, dusty roads through French farm county. Today, we were driving back from town (after killer ice cream, sorry hon, they had Black Cherry and I couldn’t resist! ) and passed by a farm that smelled like skunk. Fresh skunk. Mouse yelled EWWW and plugged her nose while Baboo asked who pooped. I explained to her about skunks and said that’s what they smell like when they spray. She stared blankly at me until I likened this to the episode of Curious George where George kept scaring the skunk and getting sprayed. She nodded her head as she said “oh yeah, the black and white kitty”. Um, yeah.

Anyway, so we drive past it, but the smell lingers for quite a while as its’ wont to do, because, well, it’s a skunk. (No, we didn’t run it over). Baboo keeps talking about the skunk then says to my Dad, who is driving “HURRY POPPY! Drive faster! Here comes the smelly ‘hunks!”

So, in jest he starts to speed up and I say “WAIT! They may be smelly, but they might be HUNKS! We should slow down and check them out.” (I’m sooo funny in the tacky, trashy kind of way).

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

In my family, I am mocked for my love of skunk smell. I make everyone roll down the windows...mmmm...skunk. Probably I wouldn't enjoy it up close, if I were actually sprayed by the hunk.