Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mouse Turns 5 - The Summary

I’m a bit behind. Again. I’ve been trying to get the BIRTHDAY EXTRAVAGANZA roundup posted, but I have just not had the time to sit down and get it organized. Or pee. Or well, anything other than just run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

However, here I am with a potentially rainy day ahead of me. Not much of a voice to talk with (I got the girls’ cold, yay me) and a tv FULL of shows to entertain the girls for a little while so I can catch up on my “computer” life.

So, Mouse, my first baby …is 5. She’s officially crossed over from little kid to big kid and overnight, it feels exactly like that. All of a sudden, she just seems so, well, BIG. This has been a year of important milestones. This year she:
Started school for the first time (and thrived there!)
Got her first 2 wheeler bike (with training wheels)
Learned how to skip and did so with joyful abandon at every possible opportunity
Learned how to get on by herself and pump on the swings
Got her first Barbie doll, though she seems to prefer the dolphins that came with it more
Learned how to read all the kids names in her class as well as a bunch of other words
Learned how to zip and button
Grew 2 inches and finally moved up a size in clothing
Moved to a new state
Swam in the ocean
Opened the fridge by herself

On Thursday, Hubster’s parents and his 2nd cousin, M, arrived to surprise Mouse and she was certainly surprised!

On Friday, Mouse woke up early, excited to get her birth-DAY started. We let her open up her gifts from family and close friends and she enjoyed each and every gift. Then we headed off to school for her last day. The kids were a bit out of sorts that day, knowing it was the last day. Mouse was VERY popular and everyone wanted to sit beside and play with the “Birthday Girl”. We brought mini ice cream cones to share for a special snack, which we had outside

Mouse was a bit sad leaving and saying goodbye to her teacher and classroom. Even I cried a bit because I was just so grateful to have had such a wonderful year. Before we left the school, we went and looked around what will be her kindergarten classroom in the fall. I decided it was best to let her process that information over the summer to help us be better prepared come September.

Saturday dawned bright and early. A little TOO bright and early for me, after a bit of a late night doing party prep, as Mouse got me up at 6:30. She was just so excited for her party! However, it was good as I got a head start on finishing things up. Mouse wanted to have a tea party theme for her birthday, so we pulled out the china tea cups and pots – yup, the real ones, and we made cookie cutter cut out sandwiches, fruit kabobs and mixed up the “pink lemonade tea” to be served in the cups.

We decorated our new pergola on the deck, filled the water table with bubble solution, set up some fruit loop necklace and a flower tea party hat crafts and put out the enormous pepto-bismal pink piñata that Mouse and I made. We were set.



The girls arrived in their tea party best. Mouse was decked out head to toe in polyester Snow White dress up clothes, including gloves, cape, shoes and tiara. They played, they crafted and they sweated and slathered on sunscreen. The temperature started to climb near 90 F.

We moved lunch up a bit and we all gulped down lemonade in real tea cups with not a single cup being sacrificed, whacked the piñata and headed inside for pinkalicious strawberry cupcakes, gifts and block creations with sugar cubes.



And I barely had to clean up at all as my slaves, I mean my mother in law and Hubster’s cousin had everything washed, dried, swept and put away before I could blink. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

After everyone left, and Mouse had played with some of her new things, us “girls” went for a walk, and on said walk, we noticed that our neighbourhood pool was open for the first time. So after much begging from Mouse (and cousin M – hehe) we went. The water was warm but refreshing at the same time. She was nervous getting in, but once she learned that she was TALL enough to touch the bottom, she was giddy with independence! Mouse splashed, giggled, played and swam without any floaties; by herself, underwater and on her back! She surprised even herself, I think.

When I tucked a very tired Mouse into bed on Saturday, she told me that she had just had the very bestest, most wonderful day of her whole life and that being 5 was going to be GREAT.

Happy 5th Birthday, Mouse. I hope 5 is your best year yet!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a perfect day!