Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day with a Side of Jello

It’s 1:45 am. Yes, A.M. We’re ALL awake. Both girls have caught some kind of stomach bug and well, we’re just waiting for it to hit Hubster and I. I don’t know if I’m just feeling a bit ill from the smell/clean up or actually getting sick. It doesn’t matter, it sucks.

So, um yeah. This is the one time where I can say I’m glad Nick Jr plays all night, though I’ve certainly had my fill of preschool cartoons. I’m not quite fluent in Chinese or Spanish courtesy of Kai-lan or Dora, but I imagine I could be soon.

It’s not too often I can say I made Jell-O at 1 in the morning. In fact, I can say until today, I’ve never made it at this time of the day, but having had a bug similar to this rip though our house a few years ago, I kind of know what to expect.

I’ve done 2 extra loads of wash tonight, on top of the 4 I already did today. The girls are outfitted with appropriately sized bowls for their heads and Hubster has already booked the day tomorrow because even if he doesn’t get sick, going to work on about 2 hours sleep isn’t going to do anyone any favours.

And I’ll tell you now, it’ll be a llloooonnnnggg time before I eat hotdogs. A very long time.

Not really the best end to what has been a very nice Mother’s Day weekend. And we really did have a nice time. Friday, Mouse’s school had a “Mother’s Day Tea” which consisted of milk, water, chocolate chip muffins (which the kids made) and fruit salad. They sang us a little song (which made every single Mom cry) and then brought us our snacks, little potted flower in hand painted pots and handmade cards. All while we sat on preschool sized chairs with our knees by our shoulders. And I wouldn’t trade a minute.

Saturday I got to go and do some shopping – and despite shopping for bras (I actually went to VC, more later), pants and a bathing suit, I still came home with my very fragile self esteem mostly in-tact as well as some clothes for this summer. Yesterday (Sunday), I did get to sleep in until 7:22, though I was actually awake by then. Then I sneezed and that was the catalyst for the onslaught. I’m kidding. The girls came in with hugs and kisses and Happy Mufver’s Day’s. Priceless. And pretty handmade cards, and gardening gloves and an iTunes card.

Then Mouse suggested that if we got dressed RIGHT NOW, IHOP wouldn’t be busy and we could go out for breakfast. One smart cookie, let me tell ya. So, we did. We got dressed and left the house by 8 and had a perfectly lovely breakfast, with a free carnation and we smiled and said “Happy Mother’s Day” to the other Mom’s in the restaurant.

We ran a few errands then spent the rest of the day finishing up the yard and just hanging out outside. The planting is done, things are put away and it looks really nice. It was a very productive day, not exactly the relaxing time that the stereotypical Mother’s Day is supposed to be, but it was still a great day.

I remember when I was still pregnant with Mouse, and hugely so as I was in my last 2 weeks, I was out for a walk on Mother’s day when someone drove by in a car and yelled something at me that, at first, I didn’t fully hear. I thought it was something mean, but after my brain unscrambled it, I realized that someone had called out “Happy Mother’s Day” to me as they drove by. I was so surprised, initially because someone had said something kind, but then I was floored by the reality that I would soon be joining that group called “MOTHERS”. It all seemed so huge and overwhelming.

I also remember my Hubster and I picking up his daughter one Mother’s day, years and years ago, to take her to lunch with Hubster’s Mom. When she got in the car, she gave me a flower. Truly confused, I asked “What is this for?”. And she just laughed and said “Because you’re my step-Mother, silly! Happy Mother’s day!”. Talk about a humbling moment of reality. I think that was the first time I really thought of myself as a “parent” to her.

I know a lot of really wonderful Mothers’, my own and Hubsters’ Mom included. I’ve officially been a Mother for almost 5 years now and I know there is no way I could have done it on my own. I truly appreciate all that I learn through the other Mom’s I meet. I think of us all being an endless resource to each other. Thank you for all you do and all you share.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother’s day.

*Update: Mouse had a really bad night with us almost going to the ER in case of dehydration first thing this morning, but she’s come around and is holding down some liquid, Jell-O and crackers. Baboo has fared pretty well, and despite throwing up in the car on the way back from Walmart this morning for an emergency run for Pedialyte, is back to her normal perky self. Hubster and I have only had about 3 hours sleep so we’re dragging around today and hoping for naps all around later today. Fortunately we have managed to avoid any sickness. So far. (crossing all bendy parts)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

ooohhhh..hoping it passes through quickly.. er.. I mean, you get over it soon!