Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Butterflies

Mouse has been talking about butterflies the last few weeks; learning about butterflies at school, making butterfly crafts and pictures (toilet paper tube – glitterized – as a chrysalis, coffee filter butterfly stuffed inside), and chasing them in the back yard with nets (to be released immediately).

At school, Mouse’s class has been watching some butterflies hatch from their chrysalises. Every day when we’re on our way to school, she wonders how many will have hatched, how many are left to hatch etc. Their little butterfly cage is the first place she runs to when she gets to class.

In the backyard, she waits so patiently for them to fly by, hoping they’ll be in our yard, or close enough to justify crossing onto the neighbour’s side. She keeps her net at the ready and has learned to hold still and wait for them to come to her.

She’s marveled at the butterfly exhibit at our local zoo – we all did. What beautiful creatures.

We’re heading into the last few DAYS of school. Mouse’s first YEAR of school is almost over and yet it seems as though it’s just started. It’s been a very busy and wonderful year for us. Truly, this school has been a true blessing in our lives. We’ve found a safe haven, awesome friends, an educational model we believe in and get to be a party of, and here I’ve watched Mouse blossom. Despite being the tiniest in her class by about 4 inches, she walked into that room completely uninhibited, but not pompous. She made friends immediately. She plays with anyone and everyone. She’s kind, fair, smart, independent, competent, strong, a good listener and working at cleaning up.

We recently received our last newsletter for the school year, and it wasn’t until it arrived in my inbox that I realized how close to the end of the year we are; and how much things will change for next year. My heart hurt a little bit thinking of how much I will miss this regular contact over the summer. The end of this year starts a new phase for us; a change, an emergence.

I read the farewell letter from our wonderful president, the various thank you notes to all the people who have worked so hard this year, but when I read what Mouse’s teacher wrote about her, I cried. She captured her so perfectly. Here was a woman who knew my daughter well. And our time with her was ending. I feel grateful for Mouse that she had this teacher as her first exposure to school, and so sad that our time with her is ending.

Like the butterflies in her classroom, Mouse and her classmates seem to be doing the same. Emerging from their chrysalises; changing into fascinating creatures before our eyes. They’ve grown and matured, especially in these last few weeks. They’re all moving beyond being “little kids” and it’s incredible to watch.

I’m witnessing Mouse come out of her beautiful chrysalis, and she’s so stunningly amazing that she takes my breath away. Her face is losing what was left of her little girl cheeks, her legs are stretching; she’s showing more maturity and responsibility.

The reality of this change leaves me feeling winded. I’m so proud of her and at the same time, so sad to see the baby years gone. Really gone. I know that this summer will be the last summer when we have free days to ourselves; our already busy life is going to get busier but in a different way. It’s good, but its change and all those years that seemed like they would last forever are ending.

And again, Mouse’s teacher; a wonderful woman shared this quote with us:
“With young children the days are long and the years are short.”

A truer statement, I cannot find right now.

I’m excited for next year – Kindergarten for Mouse and preschool for Baboo. But I’m struggling with processing the transition. I’ve got quietly high hopes for this summer – enjoying our days together, exploring, relaxing, playing, and visiting with friends/family. I hope that it can be the chrysalis I want it to be, a safe cocoon for us to grow and change in; to give us time to emerge as butterflies ready for the next phase in the fall.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Thank you for making me sob into my coffee.

I can relate as we are also in a very transitional place.

I think your girls are becoming beautiful butterflies!