Thursday, April 23, 2009

They're Supposed to be KIDS Clothes!

After the great kids’ clothing spring fling the other day, I’ve inventoried what the girls need for the summer. Baboo is set for almost forever. Ha. Mouse needs just about everything, because she’s GROWN. This will be the first summer that she hasn’t been able to wear everything she owns 2 summers in a row.

So I’ve been doing some shopping. I’ve managed to find a few cute shirts and dresses and even a new rain coat (on sale!). This is the 2nd rain coat she’s ever owned. Her first one she got when was 2. Yes, 2. She’s going to be 5 and can still wear an, albeit somewhat larger, 18m rain coat.

But not anymore!

However…. Shorts. First, what is UP with the nasty, ugly prints this year?? Seriously tacky, for my tastes, anyway. And secondly, when I was at Target yesterday, thinking I would totally score on shorts, because, I mean… its’ TARGET. I was a bit shocked to see that they were SHORT shorts. Indecently short shorts. And ALL of them were like that. I have a huge problem when picturing my CHILDREN running around with their butt cheeks hanging out the bottom of their shorts.

I think I muttered something within hearing distance of an employee, saying “this is indecent for little girls”.

And I looked around and realized that there is very little I actually a) like or b) think is appropriate. And it wasn’t just Target with that kind of thing. After hunting around, I found that almost all the stores seem to be carrying more and more clothing for younger and younger girls that is just too mature.

And then I felt like a prude. But an adamant old prude. Mouse is going to be 5. To me, that’s still a little kid. Yes, she’s smart and capable and even a bit too sassy for my patience some times, but she’s young. And innocent. I would like to keep her that way for a little while. Let her be a little kid for a while longer.

So, I say NO to the short shorts. No to the too revealing bathing suits (good grief! Strings sides on a toddler bikini?? Give me a break!). No to the deep V neck, halter neck tops. No to anything that, to my eyes, is just inappropriate.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You know I feel the same way about this. Its insane!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to MY world. I faced this problem for years as well. And although the child is now 10, with bumps I am not ready to acknowledge yet, SHE IS STILL A CHILD OF 10. It is soooo hard to find something that I like and think appropriate for her age. Not sure who designs the clothes let alone buy them - but good grief, they are KIDS, not little women.
TEE