Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving... yesterday

It’s 4 am on “Black Friday” and I am not awake because I’m going shopping. Gawd no. I’ll avoid that like the plague, thankyouverymuch.

No, Mouse woke up at about 1 this morning. I’d thought it was Baboo, who still wakes up most nights at least once, but it wasn’t. Poor Mouse had thrown up. After I’d gotten her cleaned up and settled back down, I stayed awake for a bit, waiting to see if this would be a one shot deal or not. I was fearing we were in for another round of rota virus, like we had the Thanksgiving before last, but it wasn’t.

But she seems fine and though I did doze a bit, I still couldn’t go back to sleep, so I got up to make a cup of bedtime tea and while I was down stairs and waiting for the water to boil, I’d wash Mouse’s sheets (they’re not any better now than they were a few hours ago) and finish this post. I’d started it yesterday, but the day got away from me and it sat unfinished, as things happen sometimes. And here I am.

So, Turkey Day. If you had to work, I’m sorry. You’d have thought that we’ve all worked hard enough to turn this damn economy around to deserve one freaking day off to be with those we love and care about. I was so sad to hear from my friends how many of their family members had to work on Thanksgiving and to see how upset they were. However, whether you were home or at work, I hope you had a pleasant and peaceful day.

It was Thanksgiving, that holiday that’s more American than America and though we’ve lived in the States for over 10 years now and fully understand the sacred significance and generalized traditions, we did not cook a turkey. (does that mean we are going to be deported?) It’s not that we don’t LIKE turkey, we do. And I think I’m getting pretty good at cooking them. But well, we just HAD turkey when we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving with my folks and brother in October, and then I’ll be cooking another turkey when Hubsters’ folks come for Christmas next month, so to have turkey 3 months in a row, just seems like overkill to me.

Nope, no turkey; we had barbequed steak, mashed potatoes and veggies instead. However, we could not give up the homemade pumpkin pie (made with pumpkin from our Halloween pie pumpkins) with hand whipped cream. We’re not total barbarians! It was ALL delicious!

Today, maybe I’ll make turkey pot pie or something with the leftovers from our last turkey because anything “pot pied” is sublime in my eyes and mouth. And I’ll consider that using up our ‘leftovers’. Ha.

We did not watch football, or put up Christmas decorations or even visit with anyone. Wednesday night, we shampooed our family room carpets, so right now our couch and tv are crammed into our kitchen area. So while the carpets were drying, we stayed in our pajamas until 11 am. We watched cartoons and part of the Macy’s parade. We danced with the dancers and shouted out every time we saw a float we liked. Then we squealed over all the things we have no intention of buying while looking at the Black Friday fliers. I took the girls Christmas card photo and we all just kind of hung around all day. The weather was cold and rainy and nasty, but we were cozy and happy.

It wasn’t fancy, or ‘traditional’, but we were together and I’m very thankful for that.

If you’re shopping today… I hope things go well and I feel the urge to say stay safe/be careful. I certainly hope no one dies this year while trying to get a bargain. No deal is worth that. I so don’t get that frenzy.

On a separate note, yesterday was my 1 year blog-iversary. One year ago yesterday, the 26th of November, I started this blog. And though I haven’t accomplished all my goals, I’ve done a few. I’m still teaching Pilates, have jumped into the site ads and am still plugging away at it. I’m still not sure where it’s going, but it’s an outlet for me and a record that one day, I hope I’m happy to have.

Here is a link to my first post.

And here is a link to last year’s Thanksgiving post.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to change the laundry over, find a way to get the smell of vomit out of my nose and hopefully try to get some sleep. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Is this a Thanksgiving tradition for Mouse? I seem to remember a lot of pukey thanksgivings! and Happy blogiversary!