Thursday, January 14, 2010

Let's Buy a Box

Let me preface this post by saying I am not being paid to talk about this company. Heck, I don’t even know if I’m allowed to do this, but I’ll start it anyway and if I’m not supposed, I know someone will let me know.

My days have been filled to the brim with all sorts of funny, bloggable moments, but frankly, they’re so full and I’m too busy basking in them and well, trying to keep up with the rest of life to find time to blog. Sorry.

I could tell you about Baboo telling me yesterday, that she doesn’t think that the fish cracker riding a bicycle on the side of the Pepperidge Farm Goldfish box was real. Her reasoning, correctly if I might add, is that fish can’t ride bikes because they don’t have legs. And therefore can’t wear pants. Emphasis on the “pants”. I guess pants are a must to ride a bike.

I could tell you about my fearless girls at the BIG sledding hill this year, rocketing down mogels on their little princess sleds like pros. And Baboo whining for an hour because she *IS* BIG and CAN go down by herself. She’s all of 2 for pete’s sake.

Or I could tell you about us getting locked out of our house on said sledding day and having to break into the house by breaking a door jam.

I should be trying to blog about my weight loss efforts, but I really can’t seem to get the time to put together a coherent post about it. Or I should be delivering the New Year’s resolutions I promised a few weeks ago.

I could bore you to tears with the many examples of my cotton-headed-ninny-ness of late. The many times I’ve forgotten things, lost things… like my mind, or gone to the wrong place.


But I won’t right now. I will find time to do those other things later. However, I am able to find time right now to ask you to help me. I found THIS company last year. I think it was a CNN article that directed me to their website. I love that this company gives a family (of up to 10!) the tools needed to be safe, to cook, have clean water, a dry place to sleep and tools to start rebuilding their lives, all contained in a sturdy multi-purpose box. I love that there are toys for the kids. I love that they give families some dignity; a temporary home when they have nothing. I was so inspired by Shelter Box, that I seriously considered becoming an advocate for them. Really seriously.

When the news broke of the devastation in Haiti, I couldn’t help but be shocked. It’s horrible and beyond sad. My heart is breaking for everyone affected by this, and the outreach of this is huge. It’s natural to want to help, and we sure do. My first thought was of Shelter Box. I logged onto the website, which was very slow, I hope from people logging on to donate. Eventually, things came up and I was able to make a donation towards a box. A full box costs $1000. I would love to buy a box, but it’s not really realistic.

At dinner tonight, Hubster and I were talking and he said he spent a long time on the Shelter Box site, watching the videos and becoming inspired by the good things they do. How SMART the system is. I mentioned that it seemed like $100 didn’t seem like enough.

And so, I thought of posting to see if you’d help us buy a box. If a few people pitched in we’d be able to buy one. I don’t know for sure that it would go to Haiti, but I do know that there are thousands of people around the world who would sure benefit from a leg up.

There are a bunch of fabulous charities doing much needed work. They’re all good, and all needed. This is a good one too and if you haven’t done anything yet, we’d love it if you helped us with this one.

Log onto the Shelter Box site (this is the link to the US one, but they have depots in other countries) and make donation. Let’s see if together we can buy a box and help a family out.

If you donate, leave me a comment and tell me how much you donated so I can tally it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hej Lefty,

It probably doesnt count towards your total to buy a box, but we gave 100 to the Red Cross over here. Best of luck!

Krayon